My dear blogger friend, Chuck from Secondary Roads, asked me a question:
Would you consider a post on embedding YouTube videos in Blogger blogs? Thanks.
Thankfully, embedding a video on Blogger is very easy. You need to do a few things to make it look *just right,* however. First, you need to find a video that you want to embed. Realize that some videos are not embeddable; either YouTube disallows sharing, or the person who uploaded the video disallows it. So if you do not find a “share” or “embed” link for a video, it is probably not available to you.
1. Find the video you want to embed. At the bottom right-hand corner of the video, you will see a small arrow button. Click it to view the small “share” button.
2. The video will shrink to reveal a small panel. Look for the “Embed” box.
3. Click your mouse cursor in the Embed box once, to highlight the entire box. (I often click twice, accidentally, which de-selects the code. If this happens, you can place your mouse cursor in the box and press “Ctrl” and “A” on your keyboard to select the code).
4. Right-click the selected Embed code. In the menu that appears, select “Copy.” (This will place the Embed code into your [invisible] Windows Clipboard.) Alternatively, instead of right-clicking, you can always press “Ctrl” and “C” on your keyboard).
5. Go to your Blogger blog. Sign in and start a new post. In the “Edit HTML” tab window, paste the embed code. (Click the screenshot image below to enlarge the image if you need to).
6. Now technically, the YouTube video is embedded. But if you were to publish this video as it is, the video would be huge, and it would bleed into your sidebars and look very sloppy (see screenshot, below).
You can adjust the width of the YouTube video to fit into the body of your blog post. Most blogs have a body of 500 pixels or so. So I’m going to show you how to change the width from the YouTube default of 640 to 450. You can see in the screenshot below where the code has the two “640″ pixel width properties.
7. There are two places you need to change the width (see screenshots). Backspace over the 640 and type in 450 (or whatever width you desire). There is no need to adjust the height, it will automatically adjust. Moreover, if you want a neat appearance to your video, center the video. You can do this by inserting this at the very beginning and very end of the code:
8. Hit “Publish.” When visitors see your blog, they will see the embedded video and it will be nice and neat.
1. Find the video you want to embed. Click the arrow button; click the embed button.
2. Copy the code. Paste it into your Blogger blog post. Use “Edit HTML” mode!
3. Center the code and adjust the pixels width.
4. Publish your post.